October 5, 2010

Canvas layout

You know I've taken a few classes from Donna Downey and haven't done a ton with what I learned. So here I am again taking her class at Big Picture Classes.  I took a piece of duck cloth I purchased from Joann's at 50% (can't help but love coupons) and a sheet of diecut paper and created the shape. I wet the canvas and blended three colors of paint. Next I impatiently dried the piece with a heat gun which I felt took forever to dry. I stitched around the sheet (which did shrink by the way) with brown thread around the edges and then created the stitching for the banner. Next I took a scrap from October's The Sampler kit (Echo Park) and cut out the little banner pieces and glued them to the canvas. From there it was a decision on what to do with the piece. I contemplated using an iron on, a mask, flocking and glitter. I hadn't yet scrapbooked riley's birthday party photos (probably didn't do last year's party either. . .hmmm and quite possibly the year before) so I was checking to see if I had balloon brads. Well I didn't have that but I had a few button embellishments which I have probably had for 4 years now. So I got to gluing. I tried to take a bit of the crazy color-ness (I know not a word) out of it so I added a black and white photo underneath the popped color image. Anyways, here is what I ended up with. I think really what took the most time was waiting for my canvas to dry.





The first project for the class was to paint a point and shoot camera bag. If you've seen my every day setup, you'd know that even the Prima DSLR camera bag is too small. So I opted to make a quick coffee cozy because I had Halloween iron ons from SEI.

I probably would make it differently the next time around. But who knows, I may not make another because I don't drink coffee. It was a shame that the end result was so small because there were some awesome iron ons from the same sheet. Riley gave the cozy to her teacher. . . I don't think she liked it. Plus when I made her a "Back to school" tin with cookies. . . I don't think she appreciates much. So I guess we'll stick to making teacher gifts for her dance and swimming teachers who LOVE Riley's gifts.

0 comments: