May 6, 2010

Peeled Paint and Alcohol Inks

If you know me, you know I kind of like to have inky fingers and hands. So today I pulled out The Sampler kit and played around with a peeled paint technique. I took Annonce paper by 7gypsies and applied a thin, streaky layer of Mod Podge and dried it with a heat gun. Then I took Vaseline and randomly placed it onto the paper; it will serve as a resist without leaving oily spots. After I grabbed a stiff bristle brush and painted pink acrylic paint on top in a thin coat. Let dry. Here's my favorite part. Have paper towels on hand and wipe away the surface of your paper. I like to press pretty hard to remove a bit of the print. I repeated everything again with green acrylic paint. Depending on how much paint and Vaseline you use, you can get a pretty good peeled look but I opted for a subtle coloring. You may think I could have just inked the surface but if you could see it up close, you would see that the paint is streaky which you wouldn't get with ink. I like to use this technique on papers that aren't quite the color I wanted for a layout or are sometimes too busy of a print so the paint (heavier layer and I tend to use it as a white wash) will tone it down a lot.

Another technique I used was the coloring of the 7gypsies Words paper clips with alcohol inks. To match that under the brown lacey trim, there's a layer of glitter.  Riley did a video tutorial on how to color glitter last year when we made fairy wings as favors for her birthday party.

Since I used all of the beautiful buttons in the kit on the shadow box yesterday, I used a button from my stash and colored that with the ink as well. Plus if you only have clear/white bling, you can color those too with a cotton swab to match elements in any project.

The heart shaped doily was from my stash but I backed it with a heart shape I cut from the 7gypsies Words paper clips packaging so that the title would not get lost in the background print.

I really love the American Crafts Dear Lizzy Firefly Festival fabric paper. I used it as the center of the flower. There is an adhesive backing on the paper but when I tore (about an inch strip) the adhesive was left behind. I simply twisted the fabric and spun it around in a spiral. Here you can also see that the button and the glitter match.

And before I forget. . . I did use the Core' Dinations Night Fall cursive cardstock.I first had the cardstock as the mat but thought it really stood out too much and didn't quite mesh. I had Riley sand the cardstock with a sanding block in a vertical direction. Then I took a green distress ink pad and wiped it across the letters. From there it didn't quite have the look I wanted so Riley sanded horizontally to give the cardstock more texture and to have the letters have more of a dimensional look.

To go along with all of the sanding and streaking, we sanded the photo across everything but the face and the hand with the pepper. Riley really wasn't too happy about that but she says she likes the layout now.


Illy said...

ooh Riley is so cute!!!!
Your layout is beautiful, I love the technique you used!