April 19, 2010

Dollar Tree visit

Riley stayed over night at my mom's house last night. I called this morning thinking she would want to stay all day but she wanted to come home. There went my day to craft all by myself. On the way home we stopped off at Dollar Tree to pick up another box of crayons. Anyways, $58 later. . . yeah I bought quite a few bunches of tropical flowers and these wood plagues. There seems to be a huge Hawaiian theme going on at the store and I had a big light bulb going off since Riley takes hula and Tahitian classes. So here's the first of the wall hangings. They have them painted and unpainted. I plan on using water colors, Glimmer Mist and acrylic paints on the unpainted ones.Outside of the Creative Imaginations paper pack and rubons I already owned, this cost me less than $2 to make.

I generally would use a canvas backing but wanted this to be light. Last month we got another tv and the best part of getting a new tv is the box. Michael cuts them into 12" squares for me. So I punched through it with the Cropodile. The Cropodile also punched very nicely through the wood. I was hesitant whether the paint or the wood would crack but it didn't. Oh and the hula girl. . . she was cheap too at a sale we went to in December  Meri Meri. It was like $0.25 for three. And if you know me well, you'd know that I sprayed the flowers with Glimmer Mist. The Hukilau letters are Crate Paper chipboard. 

You have to keep in mind that these flowers have the base stem things. I cut them or in some cases take them out completely. Here I wanted the stamen. So I cut them and placed Ultimate glue between each layer so the flowers wouldn't come apart over time. I was tempted to use the glue gun but again we have a love/hate relationship where it's more hate and I think it's good for nothing.

5 comments:

Jill said...

What a fun theme! The wallhanging turned out great!

Haverford House said...

I love this, what a great job you did! I've noticed all the Hawaiian theme items at Dollar Tree too lately! I love them ~ makes you want to have party! I'm a new follower! ~Marcy

Miss Jaster said...

that is freaking cute! :)

xoxOGirls said...

This is the cutest hanging ever! I'm from Hawaii and love this!

New Haven Porch Enclosures said...

Hii thanks for sharing this