March 31, 2011

Fabric apron using Chip Art Tools

Since I have been on a roll using the Chip Art Tools, I thought I would apply them to fabric. There was the obvious embossing of leather. Actually I tried that but I used an old leather jacket which was of very high quality (leather) and it didn't work well. The leather was really smooth and soft and the tools no matter how hard I hit would want to cut the shapes out. Then I had the opposite where if I didn't hit it hard enough, it would not emboss well and I would have needed to shade the areas with paint...and I didn't want that.

So I was lead down the path of traditional stamping on suede microcloth. I tried to emboss it but it wasn't working well it enough and I thought it was burning the fabric (you know that glossy look). The nap of corduroy didn't work either because the stamps are really too small to imprint. 

The fabrics I chose were so busy that I decided to keep the stamps as outlines vs. painting them in with metallic paints like I had initially hoped. Really it would have sent the entire apron into over the top mode for me.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I think you could open your own boutique.

Jainnie Jenkins said...

Wonderful apron! Fun and colorful! I actually like the busy fabrics together!!