January 5, 2009

Altered canvas






I've been hooked on canvases since I took my first Quick Quotes canvas class a few years ago. Boxes, shadow boxes, books, unique albums. . . I've done way too many. I came across Melissa Elsner's suitcase a few months ago. Too bogged down with the potential layoffs. . . I never did it. Now that I have free time I gave it a whirl.

I had to find a place we've gone that I haven't done a book for. We go to Disneyland 6x/year and most recently Halloween. I haven't done much with the photos because we always go and they seem to be the same. Funny thing is that I never use acrylic paints on my canvas. I ink them so this time I wanted to do a color wash (watered down red acrylic paint) because it seemed so much easier. BTW don't use Distress Inks on canvas. I did one shadowbox and it never dried. You would think a dye-based pad would work. I generally use chalk inks.

Anyhow, I took out plain Grunge board and cut into 1/2" strips. Grabbed the texture hammer and started pounding them. They look like leather. I used Black Gold Glimmer Mist and well it didn't look how I wanted so I used Black Soot Distress Ink to fill in the gaps and tame the gold a bit.

We went to Home Depot that night so I bought a drawer handle for $2 and covered it with black alcohol ink. Glued it all to the canvas and thought that Melissa's straps didn't quite have the finished look I was after so I went into my Disney pile. I had some chipboard Mickey hands. I glued those babies onto the end of my Grunge board straps and put velcro on the inside as my closure so they would stay shut.

I have a lot of this 6"x23" paper I thought was great when I thought I was going to do 6" digital scrapbooking when I first started. So I but that down to 5.5"x22.5"and scored using the Scor-Pal. That gave me 6 accordion folded sections. I stuck two sheets together to give it some stability since it's just a heavy text weight. Then I used Creative Imaginations papers from the Mickey line and tried to use up loose embellishments. I went to an over-stuffed suitcase look with a flip flop and purse hanging out. No one ever said I travel light.

Hope you enjoyed today's peek at my unemployed time off. Ok not true because I'm still on payroll until next month but I technically don't have a job. I think I need one because I'm running out of things to scrap and create with photos.

BTW my lens on the point and shoot was dirty so the images were foggy. Tiny 3-year old fingers. . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you go to disneyland 6x a year? How fun. I love the hands very clever.

Andrea Wiebe said...

That is just amazing!!!

Wendy said...

Seems you like disney also. We are huge disneyfans and go every year to Disneyland paris and this summer 2009 we will be going to Disneyworld in Florida.