January 20, 2010

Chalk board paint shadow box and a layout

I've been meaning to try chalk board paints for a few years now. . .not that I've been scrapping long. My main intention was to use the colored paints but the pink and pretty colors come by the quart. So I had bought a can of the spray paint (Rustoleum)  in boring black instead. So last night yet again I could not sleep. Sorry you can't see the chalks that well in the photo.

I took a $1 frame I got at Big Lots and removed the glass. The backing of the the frame is wood pressboard. It took two coats to make the pressboard black like a chalk board. I used the heat gun in between the layers since the directions say it takes 20 minutes to dry each layer. I was really between whether I was going to put a photo in there but saw that I had a Hero Arts stamp which was perfect. So I dug out the white Stazon pad and stamped the image. Then I heat set that as well since it wasn't drying fast enough. I could tell because the ink was glossy. Next I dug deep into the drawers and grabbed the Pebbles shimmery chalks. Note: the darker colors show up better. The lighter colors tend to just shimmer and look white.

After that was done, I sprayed the chalk surface with a workable fixative. I shouldn't have done it all inside my scrapbook room but it was 4am and I didn't want to turn off the alarm to go into the garage.  Oh yes, and once you spray the fixative, you might need to either add more chalk and do it again or be happy with it because it dulled it out a bit because I used matte and the colors were muted a lot. The rest is pretty self explanatory. Hope you take this one for a whirl. Let me know how yours comes out.


Before I made the frame I completed a layout. I used mostly different pieces from Creative Imaginations, Dew Drops, Blue Moon elements and the tree is Meri Meri (they make retail cards --from a sale we went to before Christmas that had super cheap embellishments, ribbons, etc).

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the moment the first Mercedes-Benz CLS four-door "coupe" was introduced to the public, other German luxury automakers hit the drafting board. According to the German auto experts at AutoBild, Audi is just over a year away from unleashing its own cleverly packaged sedan.
carwadontester981